TPC Weekly Update - Celebration of Music, Summer Lessons, TPCR7 Auditions and more!
Updated: May 2, 2018
Hello TPC community! This marks the first post in The Piano Cottage's new weekly blogging series where we will be sharing news, information, upcoming events and more with YOU every Thursday!
- KDL LIBRARY COMMUNITY READS EVENT: A talented trio of TPC students will be providing musical entertainment for guests of the KDL East Grand Rapids Library Branch
on Sunday, April 22 from 2-4pm to kick off their "Community Reads" month. Come join Grace Cox (vocals), Anna Loos (piano/vocals), Caroline Flermoen (guitar/vocals), and the staff of the EGR library at this fun event to browse the books and enjoy snacks and festivities!
- CELEBRATION OF MUSIC UPDATES: We are very proud to have 17 of our students - after months of auditions, interviews and waiting - appearing on a nationwide PBS talent series: the Celebration of Music, hosted by teenage music sensation Ethan Bortnick! On April 15, the first episode of the Grand Rapids competition (featuring our students Carter, Meg, Maddy, Owen, Riley P, Riley R, and Gaoshan) was aired.
The SECOND episode of the Grand Rapids competition will be airing this Sunday, April 22 on WGVU at 6pm. This episode will include our students Ellie, Eric, Josephina and Gianna, as well as student band Meltdown Cinema. Tune in, cheer them on and VOTE!
To see who wins (and see Ethan Bortnick live in concert), tickets are available for the May 3, 2018 concert at GR Civic Theater! Winners will be announced at the concert itself and all contestants will join Ethan on stage in the finale.
- SUMMER LESSON SCHEDULING: begins on May 1, 2018 - This summer, TPC is offering "Flexible Scheduling" to all of our clients. While there are no new packages, and the same exact rates and billing periods apply, "flexible scheduling" is a way to meet the needs of our clients better. This means that each student is guaranteed 11 lessons in the summer months, and the teacher and client together may decide when to have those 11 lessons. There will be no makeup week. (Example: students may opt to have 4 lessons in June, 7 in July, and none in August. Or even 2 in June, 0 in July, and 9 in August)
- TPCR7 AUDITIONS: Our seventh annual summer concert series "The Piano Cottage Rocks" has officially launched and we are so excited to hear all of the student auditions on May 5, 2018. Registration is now available here to reserve an audition time, and spots are filling up quick (Audition results will be posted on May 6). Good luck, and have fun!
- TPCR7 TICKETS: will be on sale starting May 5, 2018 for both shows: July 19, 2018 and July 20, 2018, 7:30pm at the Wealthy Theater. You get two chances to see one unforgettable show!
- SPRING RECITALS: will be held on May 19, 2018 at the Beacon Hill Community House Auditorium - save the date! More information regarding this recital is on its way, make sure to check the Events page for updates.
- teacher spotlight: MR. MATT YOUNG
TPC's very own guitar/ukulele/bass teacher Mr. Matt is working with a couple of local bands to play a bunch of gigs this month! Here's a list of when and where you can see him performing in the upcoming weeks:
April 21, Wicks Park in Saugatuck (with Sweet J Band)
April 27, Gun Lake Casino (with Sweet J Band)
May 4/5, Kirby Grille in Grand Haven (with Sweet J Band)
May 11, The Livery in St. Joseph (with Deep Greens and Blues)
May 13, The Intersection in Grand Rapids (with Deep Greens and Blues)
May 18, Wicks Park in Saugatuck (with Sweet J Band)
May 25/26, Kilkenny’s in Traverse City (with Sweet J Band)
That's all for this week, make sure to follow The Piano Cottage on Instagram (@thepianocottage), Twitter (@thepianocottage) and Facebook (@TPCRocks), and turn on post notifications so you never miss any news!